4 Things You Can Do to Keep Your Teeth White
When it comes to keeping your teeth white and healthy-looking, just about everyone knows you need to brush at least twice a day and avoid habits such as smoking or using other tobacco products that stain your teeth. But did you know that how white your teeth are can be influenced by what you do — or don’t — eat? And that if you want the whitest, brightest, strongest teeth possible, you’ll need some help?
Dr. Kerri M. Hill, expert dentist at the Art of Dental Wellness, has spent 17 years creating dazzling smiles in Beverly Hills. Here she shares some tips for keeping your teeth white and bright for life:
1. RINSE AWAY COLORS
A diet rich in fresh fruits is a wonderful way to nourish your body. But if the fruits are deep blue, red, or purple, like blueberries, cherries, and grapes, they can stain your teeth!
After you eat or drink any potentially staining food or beverage, rinse away the stain by swishing around some water in your mouth. Delicious stain culprits include:
- Red wine
With this simple tip, you can enjoy your favorite snacks guilt-free.
2. EAT YOUR WAY TO WHITER TEETH
Some of your favorite foods also build up strong teeth and fend off cavities. Stay healthy and keep a bright smile by eating:
- Cheese: raises the pH in your saliva to a healthier level
- Unsweetened yogurt: the live cultures actually kill off the bacteria that cause cavities
- Fatty fish: salmon, tuna, and mackerel contain vitamin D that strengthens your teeth
- Carrots and apples: chewing hard fruit and veggies scrub your teeth and stimulates your gums
- Broccoli: has iron that forms an acid-resistant coating on your teeth to protect your enamel
- Raisins: have oleanolic acid that protects against plaque buildup
- Pineapples: contain enzymes that break down tooth stains
- Strawberries: have an enzyme called malic acid that can whiten teeth; rub your teeth with strawberries and let them sit for five minutes before rinsing, brushing, and flossing
These versatile foods are a great tool to help keep your teeth in tip-top shape.
3. GO FOR A SHINE
There’s a limit to how much stain-lifting simple at-home rinsing, brushing, flossing, and eating the right foods can do. A professional cleaning at Dr. Hill’s office goes way beyond the brush.
Your hygienist carefully scrapes away tartar and stains that a brush and floss can’t reach. After your teeth are free from discoloration, your hygienist polishes your teeth to a glowing luster.
4. GET ZOOMED!
When you want a dramatically whiter smile, nothing beats a professional whitening. Dr. Hill favors the Zoom!™ whitening system because it’s safe, fast, and clinically proven to lighten your teeth up to eight shades in one short session.
Zoom! creates no or minimal tooth or gum sensitivity. Dr. Hill brushes a special gel on your teeth and gums to keep them comfortable during your whitening session and also coats them for protection after your treatment.
Thanks to its LED whitening lamp technology, Zoom! only takes about 45 minutes to lighten your teeth, which makes it a perfect lunch-break activity. The hydrogen peroxide molecules penetrate and clean your enamel and then reach down into your dentin layer to whiten and brighten from the inside out. Dr. Hill also gives you a take-home kit, which you can use for touch-ups to keep your smile bright.
Follow these simple tips and contact Dr. Hill for a professional cleaning and whitening to help your smile shine bright.