Five Tips and Tricks to Boost Your Dental Hygiene

Five Tips and Tricks to Boost Your Dental Hygiene

May 6, 2021

Most people know that effective dental care must include brushing twice a day and flossing at least once each day. While these are excellent practices, just brushing and flossing your teeth isn’t enough. If you want to keep your mouth in the best possible shape between your routine dental visits, we recommend puting the following five tips into practice.

Five Tips and Tricks to Boost Your Dental Hygiene

Upgrade your dental care routine with the following suggestions and ace your oral health exams every six months:

1. Clean your teeth more thoroughly with an electric toothbrush.

When used correctly, an electric toothbrush can clean your teeth more efficiently than a manual toothbrush. Unlike traditional brushes, the proper technique does not include back and forth motions. Instead, you guide the bristles over each tooth. Then, the tiny vibrations take over. Most models come with a 2-minute timer, so you always brush for the recommended time.

2. Be sure to floss properly.

Since a toothbrush only reaches about 60 percent of tooth surfaces, it is essential to remove leftover plaque and debris. Flossing every day can eliminate the remaining 40 percent. But only if it is done with the proper technique. You must form a c-shape with the thread and pull it beneath the gum line. However, it would be best if you had a gentle hand. If you floss too aggressively, you can cause gum damage.

3. Swish and rinse after you floss.

It’s recommended to floss before brushing. Doing so will allow you to loosen debris and remove it with your toothbrush. But if you choose to floss afterward, be sure to rinse your mouth. The water will flush away plaque, bacteria, and leftover food particles.

4. Keep an extra toothbrush on hand and at work.

We have all gotten food stuck between our teeth. Maybe your tooth surfaces feel fuzzy after a meal. Even more, it’s always good to keep your mouth clean and fresh. For that reason, Our Beverly Hills dentist encourages patients to keep an extra toothbrush around and to store it in a secure and sterile container.

5. Scrape or brush your tongue.

Your tongue is a haven for mouth bacteria to thrive. Plaque buildup and bacteria on the tongue can lead to foul breath and tooth decay. That is why it is so important to clean every part of your mouth. For extra insurance, add fluoride mouthwash to your daily oral hygiene routine.